Thursday, August 16, 2012

10 Summer lessons



I spent last summer in New Mexico- working at Philmont Scout Ranch.  It was one of the most pivotal times in my life.  However, this summer I went home.  I returned once again to Camp Bartlett.  Instead of writing numerous and very long blogs on this amazing summer- I have chose to sum it up into the ten lessons that I learned throughout the season.

Summer Lesson #1:  Learning new things can suck.  

As Head Commissioner, I did something I had never done before.  I was in charge of every campsite and troop to make sure everything... worked.  I spent the first week of the summer in a very foul mood. My other full-time commie was in Florida and my other part-time commies were often no where to be found.  One day, I sat down in Shawnee with my shovel and cried.  I didn't want to dig holes, move and fix tables, screw in signs and do countless work projects that didn't understand or know how to do! As the summer continued I found myself getting blamed for parking problems, dirty latrines, messed up schedules and awkward flag ceremonies.  Many times, I hated being a commissioner.

Summer Lesson #2:  Learning new things gives way to new opportunities.  

As a commie I make many, many new friends.  I had that chance to visit with and talk to the boys and the leaders that came through our program.  I was on stage constantly.  Everyone seemed to know my name and I was able to make my own schedule and see and do things at camp I'd never had the opportunity to do.  My fellow commissioners became my best friends.

Summer Lesson #3:  Deal with it.  

So when a certain person tells you to do one thing, and then another, and yet another, until you are so confused you don't understand which way is up..... deal with it.  Respect your authorities no matter how annoying and upsetting they can be.  When you are told to do a job, you do it.  You don't need to ask questions, because you might not see the big picture right away.

Summer Lesson #4:  Work through it.  

Quitting is stupid, plain and simple.  Don't make things more dramatic than they have to be!

Summer Lesson #5:  Don't think about yourself. 

From the first moment you wake up in the morning to the time you fall asleep at night- make every opportunity to help others.  Smile at someone, help someone carry somethings, take a moment to make a new friend, work hard to improve the world around you.  Do your job and do it the best way you know how.

Summer Lesson #6:  Don't assume you don't like someone.  Try to be their friend, and you will be their friend. 

Sometimes someone will say something that offends you, or hurts you or just plain makes you crazy.   Stop talking about them behind their back, stop avoiding them.  If you are in a situation where you see the person everyday, you might as well just start to like them instead of wasting your energy hating them.

Summer Lesson #7:  Don't be shy- make things happen.  

Don't be afraid to volunteer or to put yourself out there.  Be crazy, silly, spontaneous, loud and happy.  If you want people to notice you- do something to get their attention.  If you want someone to like you, reach out to them and get to know them.

Summer Lesson #8:  People grow up.  

Be happy for people and the way their lives are going.  It may take 18 years to finally become good friends with the people in your family.  It may feel awkward to share the same groups of friends and spend lots of time together, but then again.. it isn't.  It's awesome.

Summer Lesson #9:  Forgiveness happens- even if it takes two years.  

Don't spend anymore time living in the past.  Learn from mistakes and the things that once made you angry.  Turn things around.  The people who once hurt you might just become your good friends.  And the things that once made you so sad will soon become a great story and something that will make you laugh.

Summer Lesson #10:  Friendships can be unexpected and amazing.  

Your best friends may not be the people you'd expect.  Who would have thought that your brother, or the annoying kid down the street, the waterfront girl, your staff member, or handfuls of teenage boys would become the people you longed to see everyday?  Make friends, stay friends, and learn to love those around you

No comments:

Post a Comment