Monday, January 30, 2012

My Little Hero.

I am writing this post about a little girl in my life who has taught me a number of incredible lessons.  I hope her mother, who may read this- doesn't mind. :)

A little over a year ago I began teaching piano lessons to an 8 year old girl.  I was worried at first because my mom, who knew this girl's mother, told me that she was very defensive and might be a difficult student.  I was told this girl would have a hard time letting me teacher her and may try to fight me.  This girl has a good reason for being angry. 
She suffers from an incurable skin disease called Icthiosis- or 'fish disease'.  Her skin does not produce moisture and thereby results in extreme dryness, flakiness and redness.  She has to take long baths every day and rub herself in lotion and take medication.  Kids can be cruel.  Adults can be cruel.  And this girl has had to deal with looks and judgment her entire young life.

Right from the beginning I made it my goal to see her who truly was.  A sweet, spunky, and brilliant child.  I saw her as a daughter of God.  She became my friend.  She was a bit difficult at first, she claimed to hate piano and couldn't wait until her year of torture was over.  But she began to get better and with that came a passion for piano.  As I gave her weekly lessons I got to know her and we quickly became friends.  I understood her and she began to trust me.  Now I don't see her disease, I just see her.  I am able to look right past it. 

Not too long after, she transferred to Club Heights and was enrolled in the Afterschool program.  For the first time I was able to see her interact with other children.  Sure, kids were still mean, but as time went on they learned to accept her and began to make friends.  I love to see her happy.  I love seeing her learn and play.
This year I had the great opportunity to be her Group Leader.  She now smothered me with hugs, grabs my hands and tries to make me promise that I won't leave the Afterschool program to pursue a teaching job.

This sweet, beautiful, smart girl has taught me patience, acceptance and true Christlike love.  She is the strongest person I have ever met.  She deals with an extreme challenge but doesn't show it.  She puts on a smile and she is so happy and excited about life.  She is my hero.

This morning I woke up and looked in the mirror.  My acne is back with a vengeance.  I starred at the red, blotted skin and felt sorry for myself.  But suddenly I thought of my little hero.  I remembered her strength and her attitude.  I know my acne is a one of my own challenges in life.  It affects my self image and my self esteem.  However, I know that one of the many reasons that I met this girl is to help me overcome it.  I am so grateful for her!!

No comments:

Post a Comment