Friday, January 13, 2012

Shouting won't grow dendrites!

I have come to realize something very interesting about myself this week.  I had never really thought this out before- because in mine mind, everything I've done in my life is all sort of connected.  However, there are two big sides to me, that although quite similar, are very different.  My university supervisor and I had a good chat after a stressful observation/evaluation of my first grade teaching skills...

Side one:  The crazy, happy-go-lucky camp junkie/group leader.  At Bartlett, Philmont and Chasp, I have had to really come out of my shell and 'be onstage' at all times.  I am loud, boisterous, and a little intense.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Timid, shy people aren't the type that you see working at camps.  My voice helps me in these situations.  When teaching a group of mallet-pounding, leatherworking boy scouts you are going to need your voice.  If you are trying to lead a hike with a line of beehives fifty yards long, you need a voice.  When you are calming down sixty elementary school children so you can explain a sport or craft- you need to raise your voice.

Side two:  The classroom teacher.  Teaching small groups at CHASP, working with ESL, all my field work experience and now my Student Teaching.  Guess what?  First graders don't need to be yelled at.  And I didn't even realize I was doing it.  Those poor kiddos..  I have gotten so used to being loud that it carried right on into the classroom.  I know musical cues, movement cues, counting,and all the other strategies.  However, I am still 'yelling' at these poor kids.  I had no idea- I guess the big voice just comes naturally.

So it hurt- to hear my weaknesses.  I need to reinforce the positive, praise the kids, and just.. quiet it down a bit.  I still have 13 weeks.  I can learn.  And I can save my voice for the campfire programs this summer. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment